Hot Water Pastry
Hot Water Pastry is an easy pie crust recipe for five small two crust pie shells.
- 3 cups all purpose plain flour
- 2 large egg yolks
- ½ cup water
- 4 oz unsalted butter
- ½ tsp salt
- Beaten egg for glaze
- Slowly heat water and butter in a saucepan. Once the fat has melted, boil for 2 minutes.
- Put flour in a bowl and make a well in the center. Add the salt and egg yolk into the well.
- Cover with some flour and quickly pour in the contents of the saucepan, stirring continuously.
- Once cooled, knead into a dough.
- Leave covered for 30 minutes in a warm place.
- Separate about two thirds of the dough into five balls. Separate the rest into five more balls for tops. Roll out pie crusts and tops and fill before baking.
- Glaze each pies with beaten egg.